Chicago IL 60606
- J.D., magna cum laude, University of Illinois College of Law, 1997
- B.A., cum laude, Miami University (Oxford, Ohio), 1994 (history, political science)
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court of the Northern District of Illinois
Brian P. Crowley
Brian serves as general counsel to many Illinois school districts, charter schools, private schools, other public bodies, and not-for-profit organizations. While Brian’s practice touches on virtually every matter his clients face, he tends to focus on general governance, bidding, all types of contractual matters, from software to construction contracts and employment contracts. He also specializes in real estate, land use, and zoning matters. Brian has significant experience regarding the Open Meetings Act and the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), advising clients on nearly a daily basis.
He began his career representing municipalities. His depth of local government experience gives him a unique insight into assisting organizations with intergovernmental cooperation agreements between public bodies.
Brian served as associate counsel to the Illinois Speaker of the House for a legislative term. He was the primary attorney for the Local Government, Urban Revitalization, and Transportation Committees.
He is a frequent author and speaker on school law matters and makes presentations to numerous school organizations, including the Illinois Association of School Boards, the Illinois Association of School Business Officials, SCOPE, Ed-Red, and other organizations. He is also the co-author of the chapter entitled “School Board Practices, Procedures, and Elections” found in the Illinois School Law: Organization, Finance & Property published by the Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education (IICLE). Brian has been named a Leading Lawyer by Law Bulletin Publishing since 2017.
Brian enjoys running, outdoor activities (especially hiking, biking, kayaking, and golfing) and spending time and traveling with his young family.
Representative Experience click to view
- Acts as the primary attorney for more than 30 Illinois school districts on a diverse array of contract matters including construction, architect, transportation, and consultant and employment contracts; bidding issues; real estate and land use; and technology, energy savings and performance guarantee agreements
- Handles complex FOIA requests, Open Meetings Act issues and other general governance issues before the Attorney General’s Public Access Counselor
- Extensive experience negotiating all types of contracts, leases, software agreements, and construction contracts
- Counsels clients on the review and establishment of charter schools
Negotiates revenue generating agreements for school districts, including facility use agreements and cellular tower lease agreements
- Served as primary attorney on a $7 million real estate purchase of a manufacturing facility by a local school district, assisting with the environmental remediation and development issues for the proposed development of athletic fields and facilities
- Negotiated long term stadium use facility between a local high school district and local university
- According to the PAC, Communications About Public Business on Personal Devices Subject to FOIA
- PAC Finds Time Limits for Public Comment Must be Formal Board Policy
- Illinois Attorney General Supports Right of the Public to Criticize Board Members at Public Meetings
- View All »
- Jennifer Smith and Brian Crowley to Present at Triple I
- Franczek Radelet Attorneys to Present at IASBO Annual Conference
- IASB New Board Presidents Seminar
- Administrative Best Practices: Navigating the 2016 Education Landscape
- Safety Alert! Get Tips to Find Your Way Through the Student Data Fog
- View All »