Chicago IL 60606
- J.D., magna cum laude, University of Illinois College of Law, 1997
- B.A., cum laude, Miami University (Oxford, Ohio), 1994 (history, political science)
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court of the Northern District of Illinois
Brian P. Crowley
Brian provides general counseling on a wide array of issues including the Open Meetings Act, the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), bidding, general contract matters, real estate, leasing, election law, land use, zoning, and charter schools. School districts and other public bodies have also come to rely on Brian for all of their general governance needs. Beyond school districts, Brian represents other public entities such as city councils, village boards, plan commissions and park district boards. His depth of local government experience gives him a unique insight into assisting organizations with intergovernmental cooperation and agreements between public bodies. He has also served as public and private sector counsel in the negotiation of numerous transactions involving land use matters, private development matters, and public financing matters. Brian also has substantial experience with charter schools, from active representation to representing school districts in reviewing charter school applications.
Brian served as associate counsel to the Illinois Speaker of the House for a legislative term. He was the primary attorney for the Local Government, Urban Revitalization, and Transportation Committees.
Brian is a frequent author and speaker on school law matters and has made presentations for the Illinois Association of School Boards, the Illinois Association of School Business Officials, SCOPE and Ed-Red.
Brian is a member of the Illinois Council of School Attorneys, the Chicago Bar Association, and the American Bar Association.
Brian is the co-author of the chapter entitled “School Board Practices, Procedures, and Elections” in the 2012 and 2010 edition of Illinois School Law: Organization, Finance & Property published by the Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education (IICLE).
Brian, an Evanston resident, is a frequent runner, participating in 5K and 8K races throughout Chicago and the surrounding areas. He also enjoys traveling with his young family to destinations where he can participate in his favorite activities, which are hiking, kayaking, and golfing.
Representative Experience click to view
- Acts as the primary attorney for more than 30 Illinois school districts on a diverse array of contract matters including construction, architect,transportation, and consultant and employment contracts; bidding issues; real estate and land use; and technology, energy savings and performance guarantee agreements
- Handles complex FOIA requests, Open Meetings Act issues and other general governance issues
- Serves as one of the firm’s primary election “go-to” partners for school districts
- Counsels clients on the review and establishment of charter schools
- Negotiates revenue generating agreements for school districts, including facility use agreements and cellular tower lease agreements
- Served as primary attorney on a $7 million real estate purchase of a manufacturing facility by a local school district, assisting with the environmental remediation and development issues for the proposed development of athletic fields and facilities
- Negotiated long term stadium use facility between a local high school district and local university
- Court Rules that Final Board Action Requires a Public Recital that Includes the Key Terms of an Action Item
- PAC Ruling Further Clarifies Impermissible Restrictions on Public Comment
- Attorney General (PAC) Deems RIF Joint Committee for Teacher Placement Subject to OMA
- View All »
- IASB New Board Presidents Seminar
- Administrative Best Practices: Navigating the 2016 Education Landscape
- Safety Alert! Get Tips to Find Your Way Through the Student Data Fog
- Five Technology Issues You Need to Know: Protecting Your Board, Staff, and Students from the Top EdTech Legal Risks
- Informal Employee Investigations and FOIA
- View All »