Chicago IL 60606
- J.D., magna cum laude, University of Illinois College of Law, 1997
- B.A., cum laude, Miami University (Oxford, Ohio), 1994 (history, political science)
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court of the Northern District of Illinois
Brian P. Crowley
Brian is a partner and co-practice chair leader of the firm’s education practice team. He provides general counseling on a wide array of issues to Illinois school districts and charter schools. He has significant experience advising clients on the Open Meetings Act, the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), bidding, general contract matters, real estate, leasing, election law, land use, zoning, and charter schools. School districts’ rely on Brian for all of their general governance needs.
He began his career with a larger law firm representing municipalities. His depth of local government experience gives him a unique insight into assisting organizations with intergovernmental cooperation and agreements between public bodies.
Brian served as associate counsel to the Illinois Speaker of the House for a legislative term. He was the primary attorney for the Local Government, Urban Revitalization, and Transportation Committees.
He is a frequent author and speaker on school law matters and makes presentations to numerous school organizations, including the Illinois Association of School Boards, the Illinois Association of School Business Officials, SCOPE, Ed-Red, and other organizations. He is also the co-author of the chapter entitled “School Board Practices, Procedures, and Elections” found in the Illinois School Law: Organization, Finance & Property published by the Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education (IICLE). In 2017, Brian was named a Leading Lawyer by Law Bulletin Publishing.
Brian, an Evanston resident enjoys running, outdoor activities (especially hiking, kayaking, and golfing) and spending time and traveling with his young family.
Representative Experience click to view
- Acts as the primary attorney for more than 30 Illinois school districts on a diverse array of contract matters including construction, architect,transportation, and consultant and employment contracts; bidding issues; real estate and land use; and technology, energy savings and performance guarantee agreements
- Handles complex FOIA requests, Open Meetings Act issues and other general governance issues
- Serves as one of the firm’s primary election “go-to” partners for school districts
- Counsels clients on the review and establishment of charter schools
- Negotiates revenue generating agreements for school districts, including facility use agreements and cellular tower lease agreements
- Served as primary attorney on a $7 million real estate purchase of a manufacturing facility by a local school district, assisting with the environmental remediation and development issues for the proposed development of athletic fields and facilities
- Negotiated long term stadium use facility between a local high school district and local university
- Appellate Court Holding Extends FOIA to College Foundation
- Court Rules that Final Board Action Requires a Public Recital that Includes the Key Terms of an Action Item
- PAC Ruling Further Clarifies Impermissible Restrictions on Public Comment
- View All »
- Franczek Radelet Attorneys to Present at IASBO Annual Conference
- IASB New Board Presidents Seminar
- Administrative Best Practices: Navigating the 2016 Education Landscape
- Safety Alert! Get Tips to Find Your Way Through the Student Data Fog
- Five Technology Issues You Need to Know: Protecting Your Board, Staff, and Students from the Top EdTech Legal Risks
- View All »