Scott Metcalf is a partner in the Education Law Practice Group at Franczek P.C.
Scott’s practice covers a broad range of matters within the fields of property tax litigation and school business operations. He also represents and advises clients on property tax levy and budget issues, real estate transfers, tax exemptions, leases, contracts, bidding issues, construction litigation, and detachment cases.
Since joining the firm in 2008, Scott has authored and co-authored numerous reports and articles on public finance and school funding. Most recently he co-authored the chapter entitled “Property Tax Litigation” in Real Estate Litigation (2016), an Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education publication, and the article “Capturing All Your Revenue” in the Winter 2015 issue of the IASBO Update.
Prior to joining the firm, Scott was Vice President and Research Director of the Civic Federation, where he studied and published reports on a wide range of public finance and tax matters affecting local governments and the State of Illinois.
- Led coordinated litigation resulting in multimillion-dollar Appellate Court decision upholding school district issuances of working cash fund bonds. 1001 Ogden Ave. Partners v. Henry, 2017 IL App (2d) 160838.
- Led coordinated litigation effort to defend against tax rate objections to transfers from school district working cash funds. GIS Venture v. Novak II, 2014 IL App (2d) 103244.
- Drafted amicus curiae brief arguing against the treatment of improvements on golf courses as “open space” for assessment purposes. Lake Co. Board of Review v. PTAB and Onwentsia Club, 2013 IL App (2d) 120429.
- Defended a favorable PTAB decision concerning the uniform treatment of vacancy for assessment purposes. John J. Moroney & Co. v. PTAB and Argo Community High School District No. 217, 2013 IL App (1st) 120493
- Defended the denial of a detachment and annexation petition. Committee of Ten for Petition to Detach from District 202 v. Regional Board of School Trustees of Will County, 2013 IL App (3d) 120252-U
- Obtained Appellate Court decision overturning the granting of a detachment and annexation petition. Board of Education of Marquardt School District No. 15 v. Regional Board of School Trustees of DuPage County, 2012 IL App (2d) 110360
- Negotiated favorable settlement after filing an appeal of a PTAB decision granting a continuing care retirement community assessment as a residential property. Board of Education of Township High School District No. 211 v. PTAB, Docket No. 1-08-2053.
Scott has been recognized as a Leading Lawyer by Law Bulletin Publishing.