Scott focuses his practice on counseling and representing public bodies in the broad range of matters that fall within the fields of board governance and government operations. Scott consults with clients regarding board meeting procedures as well as compliance with the Open Meetings Act (OMA) and Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and represents them in litigation involving these laws. Scott also counsels and negotiates on behalf of public sector clients in all manner of operational issues, including annexations and detachments, budgeting, bidding, finance, contracting, construction law, tax levies, real estate, revenue protection and property tax litigation. He regularly appears before administrative tribunals, including the Illinois Property Tax Appeal Board (PTAB), as well as state and federal courts on these issues.
Scott is a regular speaker at events and has authored or co-authored numerous articles. Most recently he co-authored the chapter entitled “Property Tax Litigation” in Real Estate Litigation (2021), an Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education publication, and the article “Capturing All Your Revenue” in the Winter 2015 issue of the IASBO Update.
Prior to joining the firm, Scott was Vice President and Research Director of the Civic Federation where managed media relations and the day-to-day operations of the organization as well as published reports on a wide range of public finance and tax matters affecting local governments and the State of Illinois.
- Argued successfully before the Illinois Appellate Court to uphold summary judgment in favor of a school district on a tax rate objection involving the issuance of working cash fund bonds. 1400 Wolf Road, LLC, et al. v. Pappas, 2020 IL App (1st) 192030-U.
- Filed a U.S. Supreme Court amicus curiae brief in favor of granting a writ of certiorari and the overturning of a Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals decision allowing federal court jurisdiction over local property tax assessment cases. Pappas v. A.F. Moore & Associates Inc. (Case Nos. 20-316 and 20-357)
- Led coordinated litigation resulting in multimillion-dollar Appellate Court decision upholding school district issuances of working cash fund bonds. 1001 Ogden Ave. Partners v. Henry, 2017 IL App (2d) 160838.
- Led coordinated litigation effort to defend against tax rate objections to transfers from school district working cash funds. GIS Venture v. Novak II, 2014 IL App (2d) 103244.
- Drafted amicus curiae brief arguing against the treatment of improvements on golf courses as “open space” for assessment purposes. Lake Co. Board of Review v. PTAB and Onwentsia Club, 2013 IL App (2d) 120429.
- Defended a favorable PTAB decision concerning the uniform treatment of vacancy for assessment purposes. John J. Moroney & Co. v. PTAB and Argo Community High School District No. 217, 2013 IL App (1st) 120493.
- Defended the denial of a detachment and annexation petition. Committee of Ten for Petition to Detach from District 202 v. Regional Board of School Trustees of Will County, 2013 IL App (3d) 120252-U
- Obtained Appellate Court decision overturning the granting of a detachment and annexation petition. Board of Education of Marquardt School District No. 15 v. Regional Board of School Trustees of DuPage County, 2012 IL App (2d) 110360.
- Negotiated favorable settlement after filing an appeal of a PTAB decision granting a continuing care retirement community assessment as a residential property. Board of Education of Township High School District No. 211 v. PTAB, Docket No. 1-08-2053.
Scott has been recognized as a Leading Lawyer by Law Bulletin Publishing.