Chicago IL 60606
- Education Law
- Higher Education
- K-12 Education
- Employee Benefits
- Labor & Employment
- Counseling & Compliance
- Employment Litigation
- Union-Related Matters
- J.D., with honors, University of Chicago Law School, 2001
- B.A., summa cum laude, Augustana College, 1998
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth, Seventh and Ninth Circuits
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Central Districts of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois - Trial Bar
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of Indiana
William R. Pokorny
Bill represents management in a wide range of labor and employment matters. He concentrates his practice on litigation and counseling in areas including discrimination, disabilities, ERISA and employee benefits, employment contracts, covenants not to compete, wrongful discharge, wage and hour law, the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), and labor relations. He represents employers before state and federal courts as well as administrative agencies such as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the Illinois Human Rights Commission. Bill has experience in a wide variety of industries, including manufacturing; utilities; health care; insurance; financial services; staffing; retail; hospitality, including restaurants and hotels; nonprofit; education, including higher education; and local government. Bill also has experience representing educational institutions in a variety of non-employment related litigation matters.
In 2014, Bill was named to the annual “40 Under 40” published by Law Bulletin Publishing which recognizes 40 attorneys under the age of 40 based on nominations by their clients, peers and the legal community.
Bill joined the firm in February 2006. Previously, he worked at the law firms of Wildman Harrold Allen & Dixon LLP (2003–2006) and McDermott Will & Emery LLP (2001–2003). He is a member of the Chicago, Illinois State and American Bar Associations.
When he is not practicing law, Bill serves as a high school youth advisor and Personnel Committee chair at his church, and he is an avid cook and photographer
Representative Experience click to view
- Won defense verdict for City Colleges of Chicago following five-day jury trial of claim by former faculty member who alleged that he was denied tenure because of his religion.
- Obtained summary judgment for utility company in Whistleblower Act lawsuit in DuPage County Circuit Court.
- Won summary judgment for medical center in Title VII retaliation lawsuit in U.S. District Court.
- Prevailed in AAA arbitration of disability discrimination and various state law claims brought by former sales executive against InnerWorkings, Inc.
- Obtained summary judgment after securing dismissal of class claims for an energy company in a lawsuit alleging that the company violated the Americans with Disabilities Act by demoting allegedly disabled employees for excessive absenteeism
- Obtained dismissal of over 40 related age discrimination charges arising closure of client’s engineering facility
- Successfully defended summary judgment for Morningstar in sexual orientation discrimination lawsuit by former employee on appeal to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Won motion to dismiss age discrimination and breach of contract lawsuit filed against Northwestern University by former professor
- Obtained defense verdict for the University of Chicago in a nine-day jury trial in which a former Ph.D. student alleged that the University violated provisions of its student handbook when it suspended him for inappropriate communications with University administrators
Won dismissal of six-figure claim for sales commissions by former employee of telecommunications client before the Illinois Department of Labor after four-day evidentiary hearing
- New Illinois Employment Laws Taking Effect January 1, 2015
- “Super” Anti-Harassment Policy May Create Unanticipated Liability
- Governor Signs Bill Calling for Greater Protections for Pregnant Employees
- View All »
- WEBINAR: Wage & Hour Compliance Best Practices for Higher Education Institutions
- Cooking Up Trouble: Employee vs. Independent Contractor Misclassification and Other Common Wage & Hour Mistakes
- Fixing the Common & Costly Wage & Hour Blunders
- 2014 Employment Law Conference
- What's Hot in Hospitality HR?
- View All »