Sally J. Scott is a partner in the Labor & Employment and Education Practice Groups at Franczek P.C.
Throughout her legal career, Sally has focused exclusively on representing private and public sector employers in all aspects of labor and employment law. She represented the Chicago Public Schools during its contract and school reopening negotiations and is labor counsel for McCormick Place, Lincoln Park Zoo, the Adler Planetarium and the RTA, among others. In addition, Sally has negotiated scores of collective bargaining agreements for school districts and for various private sector and non-profit clients. She has also arbitrated numerous labor disputes in both the public and private sectors.
Sally has litigated matters before state and federal courts, the EEOC and state agencies relating to discrimination and civil rights claims, sexual harassment, wrongful discharge, breach of contract and the enforcement of non-compete agreements. She provides day-to-day counseling to employers on all aspects of the employment relationship, from hiring to discipline or termination, and leave and accommodation issues.
Sally has also been at the forefront of the issue of transgender student access in Illinois and beyond, representing school districts as they grapple with the changing federal and state legislation. She has become a source for the media and industry groups on this and other topics and is regularly quoted in the Chicago Tribune and the Chicago Sun Times.
Sally has been recognized in Illinois Super Lawyers since 2005 and Illinois Leading Lawyers since 2013. In 2018, she was recognized in Crain’s Chicago Notable Women Attorneys, which features the achievements and accomplishments of a select number of women attorneys who are making a significant impact on the legal community. Sally has also been recognized several times by the Law Bulletin Publishing Company, including in 2011 in the annual Chicago Women in Law: Women Making An Impact and in a profile in the August 2018 Illinois Leading Lawyers business edition.
- Negotiated collective bargaining agreements and school reopening agreements for the Chicago Public Schools.
- Negotiated numerous agreements addressing changed work conditions as a result of COVID-19.
- Negotiated collective bargaining agreements for McCormick Place, Lincoln Park Zoo, and the Adler Planetarium.
- Serves as lead negotiator on collective bargaining agreements for teacher and support staff contracts on behalf of multiple school districts across Illinois.
- Represented Township High School District 211 in litigation relating to transgender student bathroom and locker room access.
- Won defense verdicts for City Colleges of Chicago in two separate jury trials brought by former faculty members who claimed they were let go for discriminatory reasons.
- Resolved 20 plaintiff sexual harassment lawsuit on behalf of large retail employer.
- Advises both public and private sector employers on reductions in force matters.
- Effectively resolved religious accommodation cases against a large retail employer addressing whether employees could refuse to sell products that conflicted with their religious beliefs.
- Successfully argued before the Illinois Supreme Court on behalf of Chicago Public Schools in a historically important decision addressing rights to recall following an economic layoff.
Sally was recognized as an Illinois Super Lawyer in 2020 by Super Lawyers Magazine. She has also been recognized in Illinois Super Lawyers since 2005 and Illinois Leading Lawyers since 2013.
In 2018, she was recognized in Crain’s Chicago Business Chicago Notable Women Attorneys, which features the achievements and accomplishments of a select number of women attorneys who are making a significant impact on the legal community. She has also been recognized several times by the Law Bulletin Publishing Company, including in 2011 in the annual Chicago Women in Law: Women Making An Impact and in a profile in the August 2018 Illinois Leading Lawyers business edition.