Chicago IL 60606
- Labor & Employment
- Counseling & Compliance
- Employment Litigation
- Union-Related Matters
- Education Law
- K-12 Education
- J.D., University of Michigan Law School, 1990
- B.A., Calvin College, 1987 (history)
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the Northern and Central Districts of Illinois
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern District of Michigan and the Western District of Missouri
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth, Seventh, Eighth and District of Columbia Circuits
Sally J. Scott
Sally J. Scott is a partner in the Labor & Employment and Education Practice Groups at Franczek P.C.
Throughout her legal career, Sally has concentrated exclusively on representing management in both the private and public sectors in all aspects of labor and employment law. She has litigated matters before state and federal courts, the EEOC and state agencies relating to discrimination and civil rights claims, sexual harassment, wrongful discharge, breach of contract and the enforcement of non-compete agreements. She provides day-to-day counseling to employers on all aspects of the employment relationship, from hiring to discipline or termination, and leave and accommodation issues.
Sally has extensive labor experience, including negotiating numerous collective bargaining agreements and arbitrating labor disputes in both the public and private sectors. She advises employers on union organizing campaigns, and defends unfair labor practice claims and prevailing wage issues.
Sally regularly advises clients on transgender employee issues. She has also been at the forefront of the issue of transgender student access in Illinois and beyond, representing school districts as they grapple with the changing federal and state legislation. She has become a source for the media and industry groups on this topic and is regularly quoted in the Chicago Tribune and the Chicago Sun Times.
She also counsels employers on compliance with the Occupational Safety & Health Act (OSHA) regulations, guiding them through OSHA inspections, and contesting and successfully litigating OSHA citations.
Sally has been recognized in Illinois Super Lawyers since 2005 and Illinois Leading Lawyers since 2013. In 2018, she was recognized in Crain’s Chicago Notable Women Attorneys, which features the achievements and accomplishments of a select number of women attorneys who are making a significant impact on the legal community. She has also been recognized several times by the Law Bulletin Publishing Company, including in 2011 in the annual Chicago Women in Law: Women Making An Impact and in a profile in the August 2018 Illinois Leading Lawyers business edition.
She is currently a member of the Illinois Council of School Attorneys, the National Council of School Attorneys, and the Illinois Road and Transportation Builders Association. She was the editor of the firm’s newsletter, Human Resources Law & Practice Forum, its client e-mail bulletins
Sally is a frequent speaker on a variety of labor and employment topics. She has been interviewed and quoted by the media on a range of topics including an interview by CBS Channel 2/Chicago on how to conduct layoffs to minimize workplace violence, and by American Medical News on ways employers can best handle medical practice layoffs.
Representative Experience click to view
- Represents Township High School District 211 in ongoing litigation relating to transgender student bathroom and locker room access.
- Successfully negotiated a collective bargaining agreement for a McCormick Place vendor’s 1,000 unionized workers just days before a major meeting was to begin.
- Won defense verdicts for City Colleges of Chicago in two separate jury trials brought by former faculty members who claimed they were let go for discriminatory reasons.
- Successfully represented Chicago Public Schools in four lawsuits challenging the Board of Education’s decision to close 49 schools. The Board prevailed on all four lawsuits, which raised state and federal issues related to school closure, employment, special education, and the rights of minority students and community members.
- Serves as lead negotiator on collective bargaining agreements for teacher contracts on behalf of multiple school districts across the State of Illinois.
- Resolved 20 plaintiff sexual harassment lawsuit successfully on behalf of large retail employer.
- Advises both public and private sector employers on reductions in force matters, developing strategy for both internal and external communication.
- Effectively resolved religious accommodation cases against a large retail employer addressing whether employees could refuse to sell products that conflicted with their religious beliefs.
- Proved just cause to terminate long-term employee with no prior discipline for gross misconduct.
- Successfully argued before the Illinois Supreme Court on behalf of Chicago Public Schools in a historically important decision addressing rights to recall following an economic layoff.
- Eleven Franczek Attorneys Named to 2019 Super Lawyers List
- Sally J. Scott Recognized by Leading Lawyers
- Illinois State Law Protections for Transgender Students Increase As Slowdown in Federal Enforcement Continues
- OSHA Redesigns Whistleblower Protection Program Website. Is your Anti-Retaliation Program up to Date?
- Governor Signs Bill Reinstating 6% TRS Excess Salary Cap Into Law
- View All »