Our practice encompasses every aspect of labor, employment, and benefit issues for a wide range of governmental bodies, including cities, villages, counties, community colleges, park districts, and over 100 public school districts.
For over 25 years, we have represented the City of Chicago, the Chicago Public Schools, the Metropolitan Pier and Exposition Authority, the Chicago Housing Authority, the County of Cook, and many other public bodies—large and small—in complex labor negotiations, employment litigation, and benefit issues. We regularly counsel and advise public bodies on labor, employment, and pension related legislation at the City, State, and Federal levels.
Many of our attorneys currently or have served in various leadership positions in federal, state, or local governments. Over the history of our firm, we have become a trusted partner for many of the most influential public leaders in the City of Chicago, State of Illinois, and in the United States government.
Some of the services we regularly offer to governmental bodies include:
- Representation in high-profile litigation dealing with labor and employment-related disputes, civil rights claims, and FOIA / OMA disputes;
- Providing day to day employment advice and counseling;
- Bargaining labor contracts;
- Conducting policy reviews and investigations;
- Counseling on pending legislation at the local, state, and federal levels;
- Navigating complex wage and hour requirements and assisting in the development of practical solutions for employers to ensure compliance and minimize potential exposure to claims;
- Preparing employment or severance agreements;
- Drafting and providing guidance on employee policies;
- Navigating federal and state laws related to employment discrimination, disability and leave management, and retaliation;
- Advising on real estate and business transactions;
- Training governing board members, executive leadership, and employees on various legal compliance matters; and
- Handling property tax appeals.