James Franczek, Jr. is a founding partner and president of Franczek P.C. His clients include scores of private and public sector employers, including clients in the education, hospitality, banking, and energy industries. He is the chief labor counsel for the City of Chicago, the Chicago Public Schools, the Metropolitan Pier and Exposition Authority (McCormick Place), and the Chicago Park District.
Jim is a member of The Commercial Club of Chicago. He is also a member of The Economic Club of Chicago, the Metropolitan Planning Council’s Board of Governors, and the College of Labor and Employment Lawyers. He serves as a member of the board of Advance Illinois.
Jim is a popular speaker on labor, employment, and education law and is a former lecturer at the University of Chicago School of Business, Northwestern Business School, the Loyola University Institute of Industrial Relations, Northeastern University, and IIT-Kent School of Law. He has lectured on labor law at the University of Chicago Law School and at Northwestern University School of Law. He has appeared on television as a commentator on labor topics and is often quoted in the media on professional and educational issues.
Jim is frequently honored and recognized as one of Chicago’s preeminent labor and employment lawyers. Some of the recent honors include the following:
- Voted the #1 labor and #1 employment lawyer (2014), Illinois Leading Lawyers
- Awarded Lifetime Achievement Membership (2017), America’s Top 100 Attorneys
- Ranked on the annual list of “100 Most Powerful Chicagoans” (2013 – 2015), Chicago Magazine
- Named among the Top 10 Illinois lawyers (2014) and Top 100 Illinois lawyers (2008 – 2020), Super Lawyers Magazine
- Named Chicago Labor Law Management Lawyer of the Year (2014); Chicago Employment Lawyer of the Year (2012); and leading labor and employment lawyer (1989 – 2014), The Best Lawyers in America
- Ranked in the top tiers among the leading labor and employment lawyers (2020), Chambers Global
- Ranked in the top tier among the leading labor and employment lawyers (2003 – 2015), Chambers USA
- Named among the 100 Most Powerful Employment Attorneys in the United States (2013 – 2015), Human Resources Executive
- Named to the “Hall of Fame” in the Most Powerful Employment Attorneys in the United States (2015), Human Resources Executive
- Named among the “Who’s Who in Chicago Business,” Chicago’s civic, professional and cultural leaders (2009 – 2012), Crain’s Chicago Business
- Honored as the only management-side labor attorney for the Distinguished Service Award presented by the Chicago chapter of the Labor & Employment Relations Association (LERA) (2011)
- Featured on the cover of the Illinois edition of Super Lawyers Magazine (2015)
- Featured in The University of Chicago Law School’s alumni video series “My Chicago Law Moment” (2016)
- Named an Advisory Board Member for Law Bulletin Publishing’s Leading and Emerging Lawyers (2017)
- Selected for inclusion in the Top Attorneys of North America edition of The Who’s Who Directories (2017)
- Recipient of the inaugural 50@50+ award from the AARP Illinois and Crain’s Chicago Business (2017)