James C. Franczek, Jr. is a founding partner and president of Franczek P.C. His clients include scores of private and public sector employers, including clients in the education, hospitality, banking, and energy industries. He is the chief labor counsel for the City of Chicago, the Chicago Public Schools, the Metropolitan Pier and Exposition Authority (McCormick Place), and the Obama Presidential Center.
Jim is a member of The Commercial Club of Chicago; The Chicago Club; The Economic Club of Chicago; and, the College of Labor and Employment Lawyers. Jim serves as a member of the boards of Advance Illinois and G-PAC, a leading anti-gun organization.
Jim is a popular speaker on labor, employment, and education law and is a former lecturer at the University of Chicago School of Business, Northwestern Business School, the Loyola University Institute of Industrial Relations, Northeastern University, and IIT-Kent School of Law. He has lectured on labor law at the University of Chicago Law School and at Northwestern University School of Law. Jim has appeared on television as a commentator on labor topics and is often quoted in the media on professional and educational issues.
Jim is frequently honored and recognized as one of Chicago’s preeminent labor and employment lawyers. Some of the recent honors include the following:
- Ranked in the top tier among leading labor and employment lawyers (2003 – 2022), Chambers USA
- Ranked in the top tiers among leading labor and employment lawyers (2019-2023), Chambers Global
- Chicago Bar Association 50 Year Member Honoree and Keynote Speaker (2022)
- Arvid Anderson Public Sector Award (2022) Labor and Employment Attorney of the Year Award from American Bar Association
- Named among the Top 10 Illinois lawyers (2014), Top 100 Illinois lawyers (2008 – 2020), and identified as a Super Lawyer (2021-2023) Super Lawyers Magazine
- Recipient of inaugural 50@50+ award from AARP Illinois and Crain’s Chicago Business (2017)
- Selected for inclusion in the Top Attorneys of North America edition of The Who’s Who Directories (2017)
- Awarded Lifetime Achievement Membership (2017), America’s Top 100 Attorneys
- Featured in The University of Chicago Law School’s alumni video series “My Chicago Law Moment” (2016)
- Featured on the cover of the Illinois edition of Super Lawyers Magazine (2015)
- Named to the “Hall of Fame” in the Most Powerful Employment Attorneys in the United States (2015), Human Resources Executive
- Named among the 100 Most Powerful Employment Attorneys in the United States (2013 – 2015), Human Resources Executive
- Ranked on the annual list of “100 Most Powerful Chicagoans” (2013 – 2015), Chicago Magazine
- Voted #1 labor and #1 employment lawyer (2014), Illinois Leading Lawyers
- Named Chicago Labor Law Management Lawyer of the Year (2014); Chicago Employment Lawyer of the Year (2012); and leading labor and employment lawyer (1989 – 2014), The Best Lawyers in America
- Named among “Who’s Who in Chicago Business,” Chicago’s civic, professional and cultural leaders (2009 – 2012), Crain’s Chicago Business
- Honored for Distinguished Service Award presented by the Chicago Chapter of the Labor & Employment Relations Association (LERA) (2011)
- American Legion, State of Illinois Award of Excellence (2009)