Chicago IL 60606
- J.D., University of Illinois College of Law, 1980
- B.A., Michigan State University, 1977 (history)
Bar & Court Admissions
David A. Johnson
David has extensive experience in the area of traditional labor law including significant experience with the Illinois Labor Relations Board, labor arbitrations, and serving as lead negotiator in collective bargaining negotiations.
David formerly served as Chief Labor Negotiator for the City of Chicago where he was responsible for more than 50 union contract negotiations covering bargaining units ranging from a few hundred to more than 10,000 members, including police, fire, emergency services, skilled trades, administrative and clerical units. He served as the lead negotiator in the 2008 – 2010 negotiations with civilian bargaining units resulting in the modification of existing contracts in order to provide cost savings and avoid more than 1,000 layoffs.
Representative Experience click to view
- Lead counsel in more than 30 Labor Board including representation cases and unfair labor practice proceedings involving issues including subcontracting, discrimination, waiver, scope of duty to bargain, deferral and effects bargaining (City of Chicago)
- Lead counsel in more than 200 labor arbitration cases, including discharge, subcontracting, layoff, drug testing, affirmative action, reorganization, job classification, public policy doctrine, constitutional issues, indemnification and management rights (City of Chicago)
- Served as the City of Chicago’s lead labor counsel in the Midway Airport Privatization initiative