Webinar: FMLA Abuse Got You Down? Best Practices for Using FMLA Medical Certification as a Tool to Deter FMLA MisuseNovember 15, 2016
FMLA Medical certification can be the most effective tool to help employers confirm an employee's medical condition and their need for time off from work. So, why does such a critical tool tend to create angst, confusion and frustration for employers when administering FMLA leave?
Watch this on-demand webinar in which Franczek Radelet partner Jeff Nowak and Special Guest Megan Holstein, Vice President of Compliance at Reed Group, covered FMLA medical certification in detail to help employers deal with the most confusing and maddening medical certification issues. This was not an FMLA basics presentation. Using real life situations from our own experiences in dealing with the FMLA, we covered topics such as:
- Analyzing the key parts of the medical certification form, and what sections you should focus on to ensure you have the information you need.
- Best practices for employers when an employee fails to return medical certification or turns it in late - can you deny some or all of the leave?
- Contacting the employee's physician - can you get permission in advance to contact the doc?
- What can employers do when they notice a pattern of misuse or suspect FMLA abuse? How best to use recertification.
- Is a second/third opinion really worth the cost and time?
Franczek Radelet is an approved provider of Illinois Minimum Continuing Legal Education (MCLE). This program is approved for 1 hour of MCLE credit.
This program has been submitted to SHRM and the HR Certification Institute for review and approval for accreditation.