Look Out for Upcoming Spring Deadlines for School Districts
February 20, 2013
By: Kendra Berner
The spring brings a host of deadlines that school districts should be mindful of. Below are some important dates to mark on your calendar.
- March 1: Deadline for evaluation of principals and assistant principals. (105 ILCS 5/24A-15)
- 75 days before the end of the school year: A sequence of honorable dismissal list categorized by positions and groupings must be distributed to the exclusive bargaining representative. (105 ILCS 5/24-12) **Check your collective bargaining agreement, which may contain different notice requirements.
- April 1: Deadline for the school board to give notice to principals and assistant principals if it intends to propose reclassification. (105 ILCS 5/10-23.8b)
- April 1: Deadline for the school board to give its superintendent written notice if it intends not to renew his or her expiring contract, stating the specific reason therefor, unless the contract specifically provides otherwise. (105 ILCS 5/10-21.4)
- April 9: Consolidated Election Day, includes election of school board members. (10 ILCS 5/2A-1.1)
- April 30: Deadline for election authority to canvass the election returns and report results of the April 9 election to the board secretary, who must transmit the election results to the school board. (10 ILCS 5/17-22 and 22-17)
- 45 days before the end of the school year: Written notice to employees from the school board must be served upon (1) probationary teachers who will not be reemployed for the following school term; and (2) tenured and probationary teachers who are being honorably discharged because of a reduction in staff or discontinuation of a program (along with a statement of honorable discharge and the reason therefore). (105 ILCS 5/24-12) **Check your collective bargaining agreement, which may contain different notice requirements.
- May 7: Deadline for school board to reorganize by seating new members elected on April 9, electing officers, and setting a time and place for regular meetings. (105 ILCS 5/10-5 and 10-16)
- May 10: Deadline to establish job descriptions with qualifications for teacher positions for use in the following year sequence of dismissal. (105 ILCS 5/24-12)
- May 15: Students in kindergarten, second grade, and sixth grade must present proof of dental examination. (105 ILCS 5/27-8.1)