Chicago IL 60606
- Education Law
- Higher Education
- Counseling & Governance
- Religious Institutions
- Student Affairs
- Labor & Employment
- Counseling & Compliance
- J.D., cum laude, University of Michigan Law School, 2010
- B.A., Whitman College, cum laude, 2004 (English, Religion)
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
Ellen focuses a majority of her practice on representing higher education institutions, both public and private. Ellen represents colleges and universities in state and federal lawsuits and appeals by students, faculty, and staff, in areas including discrimination, retaliation, breach of contract, First Amendment, and Fourteenth Amendment claims, and employment- and student-related torts. She also represents these institutions before federal and state agencies including the EEOC, the Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights, and the Illinois Department of Human Rights. Ellen speaks regularly on Title IX-related issues and assists institutions in achieving Title IX compliance through revising policies and practices, providing training, and advising on Title IX investigations. She also counsels higher education institutions on a wide variety of other areas, including ADA/Section 504 accommodations, employment and tenure matters, student affairs, and policy development.
Prior to joining the firm, Ellen was a staff attorney in the Office of the General Counsel at DePaul University. At DePaul, Ellen assisted with pending and potential litigation, advised on university legal compliance, and drafted contracts on behalf of the university.
Ellen received a Dean’s Scholarship to attend the University of Michigan Law School, where she earned three Certificates of Merit (awards for the highest grade in a class).
Ellen is a member of the National Association of College and University Attorneys (NACUA) and the Chicago Bar Association.
- Appellate Court Affirms Anti-SLAPP Dismissal of Defamation Lawsuit by Political Candidate
- DOE Publishes Final VAWA Regulations
- Department of Education Proposes New VAWA/Campus SaVE Act Regulations
- View All »
- Title IX: What Financial Officers Need to Know
- The Implications of the Violence Against Women Act and the Clery Act on Colleges and Universities
- Establishing Title IX and Campus SaVE Act Compliance Strategies on Campus
- Developing an Assistance Animal Compliance Policy
- Developing an Assistance Animal Policy