Chicago IL 60606
- J.D., cum laude, University of Michigan Law School, 1995
- B.A., University of Michigan, 1993 (political science)
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
Scott L. Warner
Scott focuses his practice on representing both private and public institutions of higher education in a wide range of governance, faculty, student, and general employment matters. He has extensive experience counseling and representing clients in a broad range of compliance and litigation matters, with a particular emphasis on issues arising under Titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, state and federal privacy and confidentiality laws, and various constitutional provisions. Scott also assists clients with various risk management and compliance issues by assisting with threat assessment teams, reviewing and revising internal procedures and handbooks, and providing educational programming regarding key legal issues facing college and university administrators.
Prior to joining Franczek Radelet, Scott was a partner at Babbitt, Land & Warner LLP, a Chicago firm that concentrated in representing colleges, universities, seminaries, graduate schools, and academic medical centers. After starting his legal career as an associate at Sidley & Austin, Scott served for four years as Assistant and Associate General Counsel at Northwestern University, where his responsibilities included student affairs, affirmative action, athletics, admissions, regulatory compliance, litigation, and policy development and review. Following law school, Scott served as Law Clerk to the Honorable Jay C. Waldman, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
Scott is a member of the National Association of College and University Attorneys (NACUA) and the Association for Student Conduct Administration (formerly known as the Association for Student Judicial Affairs). Scott has served on several NACUA committees and has presented nationally at a number of NACUA and other higher education conferences.
Scott co-authored “Managing Violent and Other Troubling Students: The Role of Threat Assessment Teams on Campus,” a comprehensive article in the May 2008 edition of the Journal of College and University Law that was awarded the 2008 Association of University and College Counseling Center Directors Professional Scholarship Media Award. Scott was recognized in Illinois Super Lawyers in 2013 and has also been selected for inclusion on the Illinois Super Lawyers Rising Stars list from 2009-2011.
Representative Experience click to view
- Represented colleges, universities, and seminaries in investigations by OCR, EEOC, and IDHR involving institutional compliance with state and federal anti-discrimination and anti-harassment laws and regulations.
- Defended successful dispositive motions in lawsuits filed by students, faculty members, and members of the public in state and federal appellate courts.
- Represented institutions in litigation by students, faculty members, employees, medical residents, and members of the public involving alleged discrimination, retaliation, breach of contract, defamation, fraud, negligence, and other tort claims.
- Counseled clients in connection with sensitive internal investigations of sexual harassment and discrimination allegations against faculty and administrators.
- Advised public college in connection with internal disciplinary proceedings involving tenured faculty and collective bargaining unit members to ensure compliance with due process and contractual requirements.
- Updated and revised handbooks governing students, medical residents, faculty, and staff, including numerous policies designed to comply with a wide range of state and federal laws and regulations.
- Provided "training" to faculty, staff, and senior administrators regarding a wide range of state and federal anti-discrimination and anti-harassment laws and regulations, including the ADA, the Rehabilitation Act, FERPA, ADEA, Title VII, and the Illinois Human Rights Act.
- Designed and delivered educational programming to institutional governing board regarding governance best practices.
- “Title IX Compliance: Steps to Take Today, Next Week, and Next Month”
- Franczek Radelet Attorneys Named Among Illinois Super Lawyers
- DOE Publishes Final VAWA Regulations
- Guidance Regarding Compliance with Changes to Clery Act Made by VAWA Before Final Regulations Become Effective
- Department of Education Proposes New VAWA/Campus SaVE Act Regulations
- View All »
- Beyond Financial Risk: Engaging Your Board on Emerging Risk Priorities
- Developing a Title IX Compliance Plan
- Establishing Title IX and Campus SaVE Act Compliance Strategies on Campus
- Addressing Mental Health-Related Disabilities and Campus Security
- Legal Update Affecting Higher Education Institutions
- View All »