Chicago IL 60606
- J.D., cum laude, Northwestern University School of Law, 1995; Northwestern University Law Review, 1994-95
- B.A., cum laude, DePauw University, 1990 (economics)
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
Peter G. Land
Pete represents private and public sector higher education and business clients in a wide array of litigation and counseling matters, with an emphasis on employment law. Pete regularly advocates on behalf of institutions in court and agency proceedings, mediations, and arbitrations, as well as counseling on employment and student disputes, policy drafting, training, and government investigations.
Pete’s experience includes litigating employment discrimination and harassment cases, faculty terminations and tenure disputes, institutional governance issues, First Amendment disputes, student matters, school and program closings, non-compete agreement and trade secret disputes, and defamation and privacy issues. He has also counseled institutions on accommodation and leave requests pursuant to the ADA and FMLA, privacy issues and compliance with FERPA, academic program closures and institutional affiliations, reductions in force, compliance with Title IX student-discipline and gender-equity standards, accreditation issues, sensitive internal investigations, and investigations by the DOE’s Office for Civil Rights, the EEOC, and state and municipal administrative agencies. Pete has published and structured training programs on Title IX issues.
Prior to joining the firm, Pete was a partner in the firm of Babbitt, Land & Warner LLP (1998-2011), a Chicago firm that concentrated in representing colleges and universities. Pete also practiced as an associate at the Chicago firm of Butler, Rubin, Saltarelli & Boyd, and he worked on an interim basis in the general counsel’s office at two major Chicago universities and at a Fortune 1000 company.
Pete is a member of the National Association of College and University Attorneys (NACUA). Pete has served on NACUA committees and has spoken at seminars addressing a variety of liability issues.
Representative Experience click to view
- Represented several private institutions of higher education as lead counsel in litigation by tenured faculty, medical school faculty, students, administrators, and staff seeking injunctions or damages for contract, whistleblower, discrimination, retaliation, and defamation claims.
- Represented public universities, senior officials, and board members as lead counsel in litigation initiated by tenured faculty members and senior administrators regarding discrimination, retaliation, due process, and state ethics law claims.
- Obtained summary judgment for public university president and provost on First Amendment retaliation claim based upon Garcetti argument.
- Defended online marketing company against unpaid commission claims and asserted counterclaims for violations of trade secret statute, non-compete agreement, and electronic spoliation against former employee that resulted in payment by plaintiff-employee to defendant-employer.
- Successfully defended college through trial of breach of contract claims advanced by three tenured faculty members dismissed in closure of institution.
- Counseled clients and conducted confidential, privileged internal investigations of sensitive allegations against senior administrators, executives, staff, or faculty members for variety of alleged misconduct; prepared reports and assisted decision-makers in addressing investigative findings.
- Designed and delivered training to national for-profit education client’s employee relations staff regarding conducting and documenting internal investigations including “hot line” inquiries.
- DHS Adopts Regulations Giving Universities and Foreign Students Greater Flexibility
- How Will Immigration Executive Action Impact Higher Education Institutions?
- White House Task Force Publishes Sample Law Enforcement MOU for Sexual Assault Cases
- View All »