Chicago IL 60606
- J.D., cum laude, Northwestern University School of Law, 1995; Northwestern University Law Review, 1994-95
- B.A., cum laude, DePauw University, 1990 (economics)
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
Peter G. Land
Peter G. Land is Co-Chair of the firm’s Higher Education Practice Group and member of the Labor & Employment Practice Group. Pete represents private and public sector higher education, academic medical center, and business clients in a wide array of litigation and counseling matters. Pete regularly advocates on behalf of institutions in court and agency proceedings, mediations, and arbitrations, as well as counseling on employment and student disputes, policy drafting, and training
Pete has extensive experience with sensitive internal investigations regarding senior administrators, preparing confidential and privileged reports, and assisting decision-makers in addressing investigative findings in a variety of contexts, including board-mandated, government, athletic-department, and scientific-misconduct investigations.
Pete has served as lead counsel in a variety of litigation, including employment discrimination and harassment cases, faculty terminations and tenure disputes, Title IX sexual assault litigation, institutional governance issues, First Amendment disputes, student matters, school and program closings, non-compete agreement and trade secret disputes, and defamation and privacy issues. He has also counseled institutions on accommodation and leave requests pursuant to the ADA and FMLA, privacy issues and compliance with FERPA, academic program closures and institutional affiliations, reductions in force, compliance with Title IX student-discipline and gender-equity standards, accreditation issues, and investigations by the DOE’s Office for Civil Rights, the EEOC, and state and municipal administrative agencies. Pete has published and structured training programs on Title IX issues.
Prior to joining the firm, Pete was a partner in the firm of Babbitt, Land & Warner LLP (1998-2011), a Chicago firm that concentrated in representing colleges and universities. Pete also practiced as an associate at the Chicago firm of Butler, Rubin, Saltarelli & Boyd, and he worked on an interim basis in the general counsel’s office at two major Chicago universities and at a Fortune 1000 company.
Pete is a Board Member of the Chicagoland Title IX Consortium, a member of the National Association of College and University Attorneys (NACUA), and a member of the Association of Workplace Investigators. Pete has served on NACUA committees and has spoken at seminars addressing a variety of liability issues, including internal investigations, supervisory best practices, faculty speech, sexual assault protocols, and other institutional compliance matters. In 2017, Pete was named a Leading Lawyer by Law Bulletin Publishing.
Representative Experience click to view
- Counseled and assisted academic medical center with research noncompliance and misconduct investigation issues through the inquiry and investigation stages, ORI and NIH reporting, and related faculty grievance procedure matters.
- Successfully defended large research institutions against male-respondent Title IX claims seeking TRO and preliminary injunction, assisted board-member committee investigating Title IX related student complaints against university president, and currently leading audit of public university internal complaint system for Title IX and related diversity and discrimination issues for faculty and employees.
- Led investigation for a Big Ten University into student-athlete allegations of overly aggressive injury management and scholarship withdrawal discrepancies with respect to the Football Program and Women's Basketball Program.
- Led investigation of alleged sexual assault by scholarship football student-athlete in Division II program and assisted Division III institution with NCAA compliance investigation.
- Counseled clients and conducted confidential, privileged internal investigations of sensitive allegations against senior administrators, executives, staff, or faculty members for variety of alleged misconduct; prepared reports and assisted decision-makers in addressing investigative findings.
- Served as lead counsel for several private institutions of higher education in litigation by tenured faculty, medical school faculty, students, administrators, and staff seeking injunctions or damages for contract, whistleblower, discrimination, retaliation, and defamation claims.
- Served as lead counsel for several public universities, senior officials, and board members in litigation initiated by tenured faculty members and senior administrators regarding discrimination, retaliation, due process, and state ethics law claims.
- Defended online marketing company against unpaid commissions claims and asserted counterclaims for violations of trade secret statute, non-compete agreement, and electronic spoliation against former employee that resulted in payment by plaintiff-employee to defendant-employer
- Represented publicly-traded banking institution with respect to reductions in force, employment litigation, and successor liability issues following acquisition.
- Advised for-profit education client regarding Title IX gender-equity issues relating to athletic program adjustments and developments.
- Designed and delivered training to national for-profit education client’s employee relations staff regarding conducting and documenting internal investigations including “hot line” inquiries.
- New Federal Guidelines on Supporting Transgender Students Under Title IX
- New STEM OPT Extension Rules to Extend the Program Have Been Proposed
- DHS Adopts Regulations Giving Universities and Foreign Students Greater Flexibility
- View All »