Chicago IL 60606
- Employee Benefits
- Qualified Retirement Plans
- Non-Qualified Retirement Plans
- Tax Exempt & Governmental Employers
- Health & Welfare Benefit Plans
- Multi-Employer Plan Issues
- ERISA/Employee Benefits Litigation
- Union-Related Matters
- J.D., cum laude, University of Notre Dame Law School
- B.A., summa cum laude, University of Dayton,(economics)
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
Daniel R. Salemi
Dan serves as co-chair of the firm’s Employee Benefits Practice Group. In addition to this role, he also serves on the firm’s partner compensation committee, associate compensation and development committee, marketing committee, and is a trustee of the firm’s employee benefit plans.
Dan represents employers and plan sponsors across the country in virtually every area of the economy, in private, public, and non-profit sectors. He helps clients design and maintain state-of-the-art benefit plans that allow each client to achieve its unique operational goals. Dan counsels clients on the full range of issues related to retirement plans, health and welfare plans, plan investments (under ERISA and state law), and deferred and equity-based compensation arrangements. He also provides in depth, yet practical counseling on initial plan design, day-to-day plan administration and compliance, plan funding, and plan modification and termination. Dan also represents employer associations, multiemployer funds, and public benefit plans, and is immersed in the unique benefits and labor law issues that these clients face. His experience in the employee benefits area is broad and includes the representation of clients in collective bargaining, litigation, and mergers and acquisitions.
Dan is a frequent presenter on employee benefit plan compliance issues and has presented to such groups as the International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans, the Worldwide Employee Benefits Network, the American Bar Association, the National Association of College and University Attorneys, the Illinois Association of School Boards, and many others. He has authored articles that have been published in Benefits Magazine, BNA, Benefits & Compensation Digest, NACUANOTES, Employee Benefit Plan Review, and The Corporate Executive. He also serves as vice chair on the Fiduciary Responsibility and Plan Investments Subcommittee of the American Bar Association’s Employee Benefits Committee (Tax Section).
Since 2012, Dan has consecutively been recognized as an Emerging Lawyer by Law Bulletin Publishing.
Representative Experience click to view
- Advises multiemployer health and welfare benefit funds and large employers in both the public and private sectors on compliance with all applicable federal and state laws, including the Affordable Care Act, HIPAA, COBRA, the Internal Revenue Code, and ERISA
- Assists multiemployer pension and retirement benefit funds, as well as public and private sector employers, with the design, funding, ongoing administration, and termination of retirement plans of all types (including defined benefit pension, cash balance, profit sharing, 403(b), 401(k), and 457 plans)
- Counsels multiemployer plans and public and private sector employers on the design and funding of retiree health arrangements
- Represents multiemployer plans, employers, and other plan sponsors in plan correction matters, plan audits, and other issues involving the U.S. Department of Labor, the Internal Revenue Service, and the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation
- Advises multiemployer plans, employers, and other plan sponsors on the legal issues that arise with regard to the investment of benefit plan assets
- Helps employers develop and negotiate the benefits and compensation provisions in employment agreements with key employees and executives
- Senate Votes to Revoke Department of Labor Guidance on State-Run Retirement Plans for Private Sector Employees
- U.S. House of Representatives Approves ACA Repeal Bill
- A Trump Presidency: Potential Impact on Employee Benefits Law and Policy
- View All »