Chicago IL 60606
- Employee Benefits
- Qualified Retirement Plans
- Non-Qualified Retirement Plans
- Tax Exempt & Governmental Employers
- Health & Welfare Benefit Plans
- Multi-Employer Plan Issues
- ERISA/Employee Benefits Litigation
- J.D., cum laude, University of Notre Dame Law School, 2006
- B.A., summa cum laude, University of Dayton, 2003 (economics)
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
Daniel R. Salemi
Dan serves as co-chair of the firm's Employee Benefits Practice Group. He represents clients in the private and public sectors in all areas of employee benefits law. Dan primarily counsels large employers and other large plan sponsors (such as multiemployer funds) on the design, administration, funding, and termination of retirement, health, fringe benefit, and deferred and stock-based compensation arrangements. He has significant experience helping employers and plan sponsors of all types navigate the requirements of the Affordable Care Act. He also advises clients on issues related to the management and investment of benefit plan assets, under both ERISA and state law. Dan’s experience in the employee benefits area is broad and also includes, for example, advising on the benefits and compensation issues that arise in mergers and acquisitions, collective bargaining, litigation, and in times of organizational change or restructuring.
Dan started his career at the firm in August 2006. He then practiced in the employee benefits and executive compensation department at Winston & Strawn LLP for just over two years before rejoining the firm in June 2010. During law school, he was an articles editor for the University of Notre Dame Journal of Law, Ethics & Public Policy.
Dan has authored or co-authored articles that have been published in Benefits Magazine, Employee Benefit Plan Review, Benefits & Compensation Digest, and The Corporate Executive, and has been quoted in PLANSPONSOR magazine. He also serves on the Fiduciary Responsibility and Plan Investments Subcommittee of the American Bar Association’s Employee Benefits Committee (Tax Section).
Dan is a frequent presenter on employee benefit plan compliance issues and has presented to such groups as the International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans, the Worldwide Employee Benefits Network, the American Bar Association, the National Association of College and University Attorneys, the Illinois Association of School Boards, and many others.
Representative Experience click to view
- Advises large employers and large multi-employer health and welfare benefit funds, in both the public and private sectors, on compliance with all applicable federal and state laws, including the Affordable Care Act, HIPAA, COBRA, the Internal Revenue Code, and ERISA
- Assists public and private sector employers with the design, funding, ongoing administration, and termination of retirement plans of all types (including defined benefit pension, cash balance, profit sharing, 403(b), 401(k), and 457 plans)
- Counsels public and private sector employers on the design and funding of retiree health arrangements
- Represents employers and other plan sponsors in plan correction matters, plan audits, and other issues involving the U.S. Department of Labor, the Internal Revenue Service, and the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation
- Advises employers and other plan sponsors on the legal issues that arise with regard to the investment of benefit plan assets
- Helps employers develop and negotiate the benefits and compensation provisions in employment agreements with key employees and executives
- “Applying the Affordable Care Act’s Employer Mandate Rules in the College and University Setting”
- Franczek Radelet Attorneys Named Among Illinois Super Lawyers
- Supreme Court Reverses the Sixth Circuit’s Yard-Man Presumption
- Monthly Benefits Update - May 2014
- IRS Issues Final Affordable Care Act “Pay or Play” Regulations
- View All »