Chicago IL 60606
- J.D., DePaul University College of Law, 1985
- B.S., DePaul University, 1982 (business administration)
Bar & Court Admissions
- Illinois Supreme Court
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois - Member, Trial Bar
Respicio F. Vazquez
Res focuses his practice on the representation of higher education institutions, school districts and other educational institutions throughout Illinois. His practice encompasses a broad range of areas, including governance, business operations, contracts and procurement of goods and services, construction, mechanics liens and real estate; personnel and employment issues, special education and reviewing and drafting of education-related legislation. Regarding his litigation experience, Res has appeared before the federal and state courts, as well as before administrative agencies.
Res joined the firm in July 2004 after serving as General Counsel of the Illinois State Board of Education for four years. During his tenure with the Illinois State Board of Education, Res also served as the State Superintendent of Education in 2002. He was responsible for serving approximately 900 public school districts in Illinois, fulfilling the State Board’s mission of providing leadership, advocacy and support for the work of Illinois school districts, of policymakers and of Illinois citizens. After analyzing the present and future aims, needs and requirements of education in Illinois, he presented his recommendations and worked with the State Board of Education, the Illinois General Assembly, and the Governor’s Office for the passage of legislation affecting education.
During his tenure with the City Colleges of Chicago for eight years, Res served as its General Counsel and First Assistant General Counsel. Additionally, he served as an Assistant Attorney in the Chicago Board of Education for three years.
Res has served as a Special Assistant Attorney General for the Office of the Illinois Attorney General, where he previously served as an Assistant Attorney General for two years. He is also a member of the Illinois State Bar Association.
Res serves as a board member of the North Town Village Condominium Association and as the president of the Ritchie Court Condominium Association.
Representative Experience click to view
- Advises higher education institutions on general business related operational issues, including construction, contracts and governance
- Provides a unique perspective to higher education institutions having served as in-house legal counsel for nearly eight years for a prominent community college district in the City of Chicago
- American College Health Association Releases Guidelines to Address Campus Sexual and Relationship Violence
- The Illinois DREAM Act
- U-Texas Race-Based Admissions Process Deemed Constitutional — At Least For Now
- View All »