Chicago IL 60606
- Education Law
- Higher Education
- Labor & Employment
- Counseling & Compliance
- Employment Litigation
- Union-Related Matters
- J.D., Northwestern University School of Law, 1988
- B.B.A., with honors, University of Wisconsin at Madison, 1985 (finance, English)
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh and Eighth Circuits
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois - Trial Bar
- U.S. District Courts for the Central and Southern Districts of Illinois
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
Lisa A. McGarrity
Throughout her legal career, Lisa has practiced management-side labor and employment law and higher education law. Her labor and employment clients include those in the transportation, energy, manufacturing, banking and financial industries. Many have union-represented workforces. Her higher education clients include both for-profit and not-for-profit educational institutions.
Lisa has extensive trial experience before labor arbitrators, judges and juries, in both federal and state courts and before administrative agencies. She routinely represents clients in matters before the National Labor Relations Board, the U.S. Department of Labor (including the Occupational Safety and Health Administration), the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights, the Illinois Human Rights Commission and Department, and similar agencies in other states.
Lisa was recently selected as one of the top women lawyers in Illinois by Leading Lawyers Magazine – Women’s Edition, and profiled in their 2012 Edition.
Prior to joining the firm in 1994, Lisa practiced at the law firms of Seyfarth Shaw Fairweather & Geraldson (1990–1994) and Sidley & Austin (1988–1990). For several years, Lisa served as the executive director of two employer groups: the Illinois Trucking Labor Relations Association, Inc. and Midwest Employers Labor Advisory Council, Inc.
Representative Experience click to view
- Serves as labor, employment and education law counsel to a publicly traded higher education company with more than 13,000 employees and 116,000 students around the world
- Serves as labor and employment counsel to regional independent power producer
- Advises a leading global provider of independent investment research on labor and employment matters
- Provides labor and employment counsel to various subsidiaries of a Fortune 500 company and one of the largest transportation service providers in the world with 55,000 employees
- Supervisor’s Failure to Engage in Interactive Process with Disabled Employee May Convert Employee’s Resignation into Constructive Discharge
- Timely Arrival at Work Not Always an Essential Job Function
- Request for Straight Day Shift Not a Reasonable Accommodation
- View All »