Chicago IL 60606
- Employee Benefits
- Qualified Retirement Plans
- Non-Qualified Retirement Plans
- Multi-Employer Plan Issues
- Tax Exempt & Governmental Employers
- ERISA/Employee Benefits Litigation
- Health & Welfare Benefit Plans
- Labor & Employment
- Union-Related Matters
- Education Law
- K-12 Education
- J.D., magna cum laude, University of Notre Dame Law School, 2002
- B.A., cum laude, University of Notre Dame, 1999
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
Andrew A. Malahowski
Andrew represents both private and public sector employers in all areas of employee benefits law. His practice covers a broad range of employee benefits matters, including qualification, administration, drafting, and design of defined benefit plans, defined contribution plans, health and welfare plans, and fringe benefit plans. He counsels clients with respect to a broad range of benefits matters, including ERISA and Internal Revenue Code compliance, Health Care Reform, executive compensation, multiemployer plans, cafeteria and flexible spending plans, fringe benefit plans, COBRA, HIPAA compliance, and payroll tax issues. He also counsels clients with respect to matters under the Illinois Pension Code.
Andrew has also represented clients in a variety of labor and employment law matters including collective bargaining agreement negotiations, worker classification and FLSA compliance, employment contract disputes, and management of employee leaves of absence.
Andrew joined the firm in May 2005. Prior to joining the firm, he was an attorney at Winston & Strawn LLP (2002–2005).
Andrew has been a contributing editor for the Developing Labor Law (BNA), and has contributed articles for the Employment Law Strategist and the Illinois Public Employee Relations Report.
Representative Experience click to view
- Represents public and private sector employers in qualified plan compliance matters under the Internal Revenue Code
- Assists various employers with ERISA fiduciary, disclosure, and reporting obligations
- Provides counseling to private and publicly traded companies, and not-for-profit employers, with respect to executive compensation matters and 409A compliance
- Provides ongoing advice on health and welfare employee benefits, payroll tax matters, Teachers’ Retirement System and Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund issues, and 403(b) and 457 plan issues to numerous Illinois public school districts, higher education institutions, tax-exempt employers, and other governmental employers
- Provides counseling for various companies facing multiemployer pension plan liability issues under Multiemployer Pension Plan Amendments Act of 1980 (MPPAA)
- Counsels various clients on all aspects of Affordable Care Act compliance
- Monthly Benefits Update - April 2013
- Monthly Benefits Update - February 2013
- Health Care Reform: Preparations for 2014 Pay or Play Rules Should Begin Now
- View All »