Chicago IL 60606
- J.D., Chicago-Kent College of Law, 2007 (Certificate in Public Interest Law)
- B.A., The University of Oklahoma, 2004 (sociology / criminology)
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the Northern and Central Districts of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- United States Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit
Melissa D. Sobota
Melissa concentrates her practice in both labor and employment law. Her labor experience includes collective bargaining for schools, municipalities and county employers. She has experience handling union certification petitions, severance petitions, as well as litigating unfair labor practice charges before the Illinois Labor Relations Board and Illinois Educational Labor Relations Board. She has also advised employers on medical and insurance benefit plan issues in relation to contract negotiations and employee disputes.
Her employment practice includes the defense of employers against discrimination cases filed state court, the Illinois Department of Human Rights and the Equal Employment Opportunities Commission. She has also defended employers before the City of Chicago Commission on Human Relations, the Illinois Department of Labor, the Illinois Human Rights Commission, and the Illinois Labor Relations Board.
Prior to private practice, Melissa worked with the corporation counsel of the City of Chicago in the Labor Division and defended the City in grievance arbitrations regarding contract disputes, discipline, and medical and benefits plans.
Melissa is a member of the American Bar Association (Labor and Employment Section), the Illinois State Bar Association (Labor and Employment Section), and the Illinois Public Employer Labor Relations Association.
- BREAKING: Supreme Court Rules “Fair Share Fees” Unconstitutional
- Some Public Bodies May Now Post Prevailing Wage Rates Electronically
- After Oral Argument: Public Sector “Fair Share Fees” on Thin Ice
- View All »